The gardens lying on the western
slopes of the mountain called Sher-i-Darwaza, known as Babur's
Gardens, have been popular since the Moghul Emperor Babur
laid them out in the middle of the 16th century.
On entering, the first structure to meet the eye is the charming
summer pavilion built by Amir Abdur Rahman (1880-1901). It
is shaded by magnificent pillared veranda one looks down upon
terraced gardens dotted with fountains. Inside, the ceilings
are beautifully painted in the style of the late 19th century.
Not many examples remain to be seen today.
up the hill via a path once lined with stately cypress
trees, one comes to the beautiful marble mosque built by the
Moghul Emperor Shah Jahan in 1646 to celebrate his capture
of Balhk. The mosque was restored by Italian archaologist-architects
under the direction of B. C. Bono in 1964-1966.
modes tomb of Babur, founder of the Moghul dynasty of India,
lies on the terrace above the mosque. Babur died in Agra in
1530 but he so loved this garden that he asked to be brought
here for burial. Unrest throughout the empire, much of it
occasioned struggles for the throne between sons holding Kabul
and Kandahar, prevented the immediate fulfillment of this
request. At length it was his loyal Afghan wife, Bibi Mubarika
(Blessed Dasel) Yusufzai, who brought him back to his beloved
a long time another wish, that nothing cover his grave so
that the rain and the sun could beat upon it and perhaps encourage
a wild flower to grow, was honored, but during the reign of
King Nadir Shah the present marble stone was placed over the
grave and covered with a small pavilion. The headstone dates
from the time of Moghul Emperor Jahangir (17th century). A
son Mirza Hindal, and a grandson, Mohammad Hakim Mirza, lie
beside him. A daughter, Nawab Gawhar Nisa Begum, lies to the
west of the emperor; a grand-daughter, Roqia Sultan Begum,
daughter of Mirza Hindal, lies on the upper terrace."
Dupree, N. H. An Historical guide to Afghanistan. Kabul.
1977. p. 88.