Ghūr Province. On the
between Kaminj and Ahangarān, where it is joined from
the south by the Jam Rūd.
Ghurid, 12th C. (Ceramic, epigraphic, stylistic)..
A minaret or victory tower,
probably marking the site of the Ghurid capital of Firuzkuh.
It stands 65 m high and has a diameter of 9 m at its base.
It is made up of four tapering cylindrical shafts on an octagonal
base, with a double spiral staircase inside. The ouside is
completely covered in decorative brickwork, except for one
band of blue tile inscription near the top. On the hill of
Kushkak between Jam village and the minaret are some Hebrew
inscriptions dated 1153-1203. To the south of the river are
mud-brick watch-towers forming a fortification line. Another
fortress with a stone reservoir lies on the north side of
the river. There are several more mud remains in the immediate
vicinity, including a possible bazar nand mosque, both to
the east and west of the minaret."
Ball, W. Archaeological Gazetteer of Afghanistan,
Paris, 1982, p. 133
theatened by floods of the Harirud and the Jam rivers. Protection
gabion walls built by SPACH in 2000 and 2001. The Swiss Government
made a 130,000$ contribution for its conservation in 2003.
UNESCO is the implementing agency.