LOCATION: In Herat city.
DESCRIPTION: “Built in its
present form by the Kart Malik Fakhruddin in 1305 A.D. and
named for another popular Kart governor, Herat’s citadel
has a long and stormed history.
Genghis Khan and Tamerlane fought beneath its walls but Tamerlane’son,
Shah Rukh, embellished them after 7000 men had repaired the
damage wrought by his father. The citadel was the heart of
the Timurid Empire for a hundred years (1405-1506) but once
the empire began to disintegrate, it was constantly battered
by attacks from Uzbak and Persian. In the 19th century, the
citadel was held independent by contenders to the throne of
Kabul until Amir Abdur Rahman secured its allegiance in 1881.
Then, for a few brief moments in 1929 Herat’s governor
declared for Habibullah II, also known as Bacha Saqao, the
Tajik adventurer from the Koh Daman who sat on the throne
of Kabul for nine months. Troops are stationed in the fortress
From Dupree, N. H. An historical guide to Afghanistan.
Kabul. 1977. p. 244