early 12 th c.
LOCATION: Ghazni Province.
East of Ghazni, north of road to Kabul.
DESCRIPTION: The easternmost was
built by Sultan Mas'ud III who reigned from 1099-1114; the
other was raised by the last king of the dynasty, Sultan Bahram
Shah (1118-1152), during whose reign the city was sacked by
Alauddin of Ghor.
The intricate decoration of minarets is in raised brick, without
color, and includes epigraphic friezes in square Kufic and
Naskh script in addition to panels with floral and geometric
designs. Mounds of ruins at the foot of both minarets indicate
that they were once a part of two large buildings. Evidence
from these mounds supports the theory that these buildings
Dupree,N.H. An Historical Guide to Afghanistan, Kabul,
1977, p. 182
CONDITION: natural deterioration
requires immediate attention.